Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I got hit in the face by a pigeon...

...Ok, not really, but it was close. This past weekend, I was walking around, seeing some of the sites I haven't seen so far and as I approached the Basilica, these two little girls started to run around, chasing the pigeons. One of the pigeons flew right at my head and I had to duck to avoid being hit. It probably wasn't nearly as close to me as I thought, and I am sure I looked ridiculous (the large amount of stares I got after pretty much confirm this), but I truly thought it was going to hit me.

Anyway, there really hasn't been much going on recently. Like I said, this past weekend I just mainly walked around town. On Saturday, I had one of those days that wasn't bad, but really annoying because nothing went right. My original goal on Saturday was to go into the parliament. Well, little did I know you have to go on an official tour and the English tour started at 2pm...I got there at 2:15. I did not feel like waiting another two hours so I just walked around the outside. I then walked over to Margaret Island. It is basically a huge park on an island in the Danube. It is very pretty but there were a lot of mosquitoes and so I didn't stay long. I then walked over to the Basilica, where I nearly got hit by a pigeon. I was able to go inside but there was a wedding that was about to start so I only got to briefly go into the back part. I wanted to climb to the top of the dome, but decided I was too tired to climb up the 300+ stairs after walking around all day. That night, I went to meet some friends. We were supposed to meet at 8:30, so I headed to catch the 8:15 tram. Well, I got stuck at the longest red light and when I finally got to the tram station, as I went to push the button to open the door, it started to drive off. There was a second one sitting there, but they usually don't go back to back so I turned around to read the time table to see when it would be leaving and it left. I then thought that I would run over and catch a different tram that basically goes along the same route. However, there is construction going on near the station so I had to detour around it and right as I got to the tram...it left! By this point I was so fed up, I just wanted to go home, but I didn't. I called my friend to let him know I would be late because the next tram left at 8:32, he said that is fine and he would wait for me. Well, I got there about 8:40 and he wasn't even there yet! I had to wait another 10 minutes for him to show up and another 10 for another guy. After all that (once again, not quite as dramatic as I am making it seem), I only stayed an hour.

Anyway, Sunday was much better. I walked around in the afternoon with one of the interns from France, watched the England vs. Germany soccer game and hung out with my friend Anna. Anna's family owns the apartment that I live in and is an old IAESTE member. I went over to her apartment and we had dinner. Then we decided to leave because there were too many people in the apartment. She asked if there was anything that I hadn't seen yet that I would like to and so I told her about my goal to walk across all of the bridges before I leave. I had already walked across 4 of them so we decided to go and walk across two more of them. It was a good time and we were able to stop and see some of the other sites as well. I am hoping to finish my quest in the next day or two. So far, the Szabadság Híd (Liberty Bridge) is my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment